Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never before have numerous scientific advancements and new strategies emerged in such a brief duration of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless people the opportunity to lower or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio ads are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and painless way to fix vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist ensure that you will enjoy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be fooled by elegant advertisements about a particular laser center. Select the doctor, not the laser. Learn who will really do your treatment, then ask about that medical professional's credentials (e.g., board accreditation, Read Full Article special training).
3. Pick a doctor who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a medical professional does not know can hurt you.
Ask for info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your physician will not tell you, discover another one.
Ask exactly what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized before your eye laser surgery to remove the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of ads pushing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgery is as great as a discount parachute. The possible cost savings are unworthy the danger of receiving less than skilled care!
Anticipate to see very well after LASIK, but do not expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as individual as each patient. Beware of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not buying a cars and truck; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use much better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the benefits: for a lot of people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the vision of millions of individuals around the world.